Literature and writing highlighting different perspectives

We have also explored literature which highlights how people view situations from different perspectives. The picture book “Voices in the Park” by Anthony Browne, clearly showed us how the same situation could be viewed from 4 different perspectives. We then did some writing of our own. We focused on composing two pieces of writing of the same incident, but from two different perspectives. We would like to share a few pieces of this writing with you.

The Day My Pet Died  – by Polly

Lab

Lucy’s Perspective

I woke up and rushed downstairs. “Did she die?” I asked.

“Yes,” said my mum, “She made one last sound before she stopped breathing. It sounded like she was crying out for you.” I burst into buckets of tears. I felt like I was going to die too. My heart felt heavy, like a weight dropped on top of it.

The storm, raging outside, reflected how I felt.

Thunder clapped, lightning struck the tree outside. The tree fell down and landed across the pool. One branch fell from the tree and blew away. I felt like that tree. One part of my life had fallen away and I would never see that part again.

Mums Perspective:

Lucy came running downstairs.  “Did she die?” she asked.

“Yes,” I said. She made one last sound before she stopped breathing. It sounded like she was crying out for you.“

Lucy burst into tears. I felt terrible. I felt like it was my fault that Goldie had died.  I tried to comfort Lucy, but she kept on crying. She looked heartbroken. Thunder boomed, lightning cut through the sky like a knife. A tree fell down. I just felt like bursting into tears myself. After all, sometimes tears make you feel a lot better!

The lonely old Grandmother  – by Jaime

grandmother

Grandmother’s perspective

I sit in the corner gazing out of the window which is separating me from the rest of the world. I can’t help thinking, “Why won’t my daughters and granddaughters visit me?”

I sit in my favourite rocking chair year after year but still no one wants to visit me. None of my daughters will visit me and they don’t even bother to bring my granddaughters to visit. I have knitted them all jumpers but they won’t come so what’s the point of making anymore?

I start to go to sleep when I hear a knock on the door. My heart is thumping so hard. Has someone come to visit me?

The Lonely Old Grandmother – by Jaime

grand daughter

Granddaughters perspective

“But why do I have to go to Grandma’s house? All she does is sit around in that rocking chair of hers. Why doesn’t she just make herself useful?” I wondered.

Mum told me it was because she didn’t get many visitors very often. I wondered why Mum couldn’t just visit grandma by herself.

I didn’t want to go because all Grandma ever did was knit and sit in the corner. She never played with me she was so boring. Mum disagreed because she thought there was nothing wrong with Grandma.

So Mum and I hopped into the car and drove to Grandma’s house. We knocked on the door and Grandma opened the door. She had the biggest smile on her face. Then I thought to myself, maybe Grandma wasn’t that bad after all!

One thought on “Literature and writing highlighting different perspectives

1. Hi Year 4,
    When I heard these pieces of writing in assembly, I was amazed! I wonder what you will write about next. I can’t wait to hear more from you!
    Jemma